Saturday, March 23

Veeyar

March 23, Year of our Lord - 409
Down on my luck, I was reveling away my last few denarii at Pandragon's Claw when a stranger entered the tavern. A tall, somewhat handsome man clad in mail armour. He had a purpose about him and a gleam in his eye as he surveyed the patrons. He was recruiting. I followed his progression through the tables, talking at length to other, more illustrious members of Caerdyff. A few met his approval and gathered at a table toward the rear or the tavern, but most were turned away.

He approached my table and uttered the phrase I had overheard him use previously on other tables; "Is anyone looking for adventure?"
"Maybe.." I replied. No need to sound desperate.
"We are striking north to rescue Perceval, who still remains a captive of bandits. We were set upon as we crossed the Snowdonian mountains. I managed to escape on the first night, but Perceval remained to cover my escape. Now I need willing and able men .. err .. women to help me. Interested?". The speech needed correcting, but I'll let that slide. He looks tired.
"A rescue mission? Sounds exciting. I've been more accustomed to trading along these routes than fighting, but I may know the lay of the land if you're heading through the mountains again. I'm not that much of a swordhand, but I'm a fast learner." Did that sound too naff? C'mon, you need more people. Hire me please!
"A scout? Excellent news! I have a long hunting tradition through the dales, but feel out of place here on the western edge. As long as you feel confident on a horse and can hold your own in a fight, you're welcome to join our party. We share any treasure by merit, but I can't offer a wage."
"Do you swear allegiance to anyone?". Not that it matters to me, but it's best to clear the air before you share a camp with someone.
"I'm keen on travelling the length and breadth of this fine land" He replied. "My allegiance is to my party and their allegiance is to me".
"You make a compelling case. I can ride, but alas am without horse at the moment." Hopefully that's not a deal breaker. It's been a long while since I've had to ride too, but more confident on horseback than in a line of infantry.
"That won't be a problem. Marnid! Set this fine lady up with a courser! The name is Veeyar, and yours?"
"Ymira"
"Welcome aboard" He said with a wink.

No comments:

Post a Comment